Sherlock BTS: A Steadicam Shot of Moriarty in ASiB
What are we looking at?
- Shiny board! This is a reflector they’re using to shine a bit of light on Andrew’s face so the shadow from the direct sun doesn’t obscure anything adorable.
- The Steadicam operator. The Steadicam is a marvel of human ingenuity and silliness. It allows the camera operator to follow actors on foot.The motion of the shot is side to side but without the up and down bounce so the viewer feels as if they’re walking or running along, but they don’t get seasick! In these shots of Moriarty you get a real sense you’re walking along with him. The camera and the rig is all attached to one guy’s body and he often has a spotter to made sure he doesn’t fall on his ass.
- Windscreen! This guy is protecting the Steadicam rig from gusts of wind that can make the picture shake.
- That’s Andrew Scott as James Moriarty. But you knew that.
- Sue Vertue, the producer is taking a walk with the crew.
- The boom microphone operator. He’s there to record Moriarty’s raspberry to Mycroft. The fuzzy bit covering the mic at the end of the boom is the muff (or “dead cat”) it protects the mic from picking up the sound of the wind. Not only is he keeping up with the gang while holding a really long stick, he has to make sure that stick a) doesn’t kill anybody and b) is never, ever in the camera frame.
Johnlock: BBC Sherlock x Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Sherlock Holmes had often found that he required his mind to be engaged, lest the boredom finally catch up to him.
He’d worried a bit that taking on a wife would do nothing but accelerate the speed of that boredom, his hypothesis tested as tried and true as he observed the majority of the married couples of the ton.
Of course, Molly Holmes (nee Hooper) had never really crossed his mind. In all the ways that mattered, she was an anomaly in his data: she was clever and patient, sweet but morbid, curious and bold, kind but strong. Most extraordinary of all: she loved him.
Holding her close at the end of a long case, fire warming them from the chill outside of the walls of 221B, holding his wife close him, Sherlock Holmes was never happier to discover boredom was nowhere on the horizon. He was never happier to be the anomaly.
AND THEY JUST MENTIONED DOCTOR WHO
Sherlock’s His Last Vow wins four Emmys tonight
because i took your pulse.